Can Disaster Mitigation Pros Remove Flooding from My Master Bedroom?
IICRC-Certified Technicians Provide Augusta Homeowners with Flood Damage Mitigation and Restoration
Home flooding can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damages with just an inch or two of water in the home. Contaminated waters can create large amounts of loss, including damage to electrical components, subfloors, wall supports, insulation, and even the foundation of your Augusta home.
SERVPRO is prepared to mitigate flood damage in your Augusta residence with commercial-grade tools and EPA-registered antimicrobials. The goal is to remove damage from your property and restore affected areas to a preloss state while minimizing structural and contents losses.
SERVPRO Training Ensures Quality Cleanup
SERVPRO staff receives extensive training regarding disaster mitigation, home restoration, and assisting clients throughout the process. Franchise owners undergo a hand-on training program to ensure that they are fully equipped to run your local SERVPRO franchise with the tools and knowledge necessary to support the community.
SERVPRO franchise owners, staff, and technicians alike have access to a wealth of educational opportunities after the initial training process. Technicians are certified to render services per industry standards outlined by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
Staff, as well as professionals in real estate and insurance, can take part in the following SERVPRO courses to enhance their understanding of disaster mitigation:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
- Restorative Drying for Loss Control
- A non-credit Mitigation Awareness Response Seminar
What Items are Typically Unsalvageable After a Flood?
While many of your belongings can be cleaned and restored after a flood, some items in your Augusta residence may require removal by SERVPRO technicians, with the informed consent of both property owners and insurance adjusters.
- Carpet and pad. After enough exposure to moisture, carpet and pad eventually cannot stay attached to the flooring and separate from it as adhesives erode. Flood-damaged carpeting is also a common breeding ground for microbes and pests alike.
- Mattresses and box springs are large pieces of furniture that can suffer extensively from the damages caused by flooding. Water damage that is not sufficiently dried can damage internal springs, and sewage and other contaminants pose safety concerns for occupants that cannot be ignored.
- While fiberglass or insulation is not as prone to mold growth as its cellulose or cotton counterparts, exposure to flood contaminants like sewage and chemical runoff can affect the efficacy of your home’s insulation.
- Damaged drywall. Drywall is a porous surface prone to warping, swelling, and eventually crumbling from moisture exposure. As a result, flood-damaged drywall is typically more cost-effective to remove and replace.
What Precautions Can I Take to Protect My Furniture and Valuables from Flooding?
Augusta homeowners looking for effective strategies to protect their items should consider the following:
- Elevating furniture is one of the best ways to ensure that your furniture avoids contact with floodwater. Elevation strategies include using cinder blocks for elevation and moving items to an upper floor.
- Cover electrical components in plastic sheeting to minimize contact with water. This tactic also works to reduce the risk of floodwater affecting electronic components.
- Bar water from entering your home with quick solutions like stacking sandbags.
- Store smaller items and valuables in sealable plastic containers. Keep these items elevated on shelves or other furniture items to lower the risk of exposure to floodwaters.
If the contents of your home have suffered damage from flooding, SERVPRO technicians have the tools necessary to clean upholstery, furniture, and valuables. Possessions that require specific restoration services, like electronics or antiques, can be referred to a licensed specialist during the restoration process.
How Can SERVPRO Remove Flood Damage and Odors from My Property?
SERVPRO technicians focus on the removal of water and sanitary concerns before drying and restoring the home. This process can entail a variety of cleaning tasks, such as:
- Removing items that cannot be safely restored to a sanitary condition for reuse, such as couches, bedding, and carpet after extracting any remaining water with portable and truck-mounted extractors as well as submersible sump pumps.
- Disposing of pests, solid waste, and other contaminants carried into your property by flooding.
- Spraying and manually cleaning items with EPA-registered biocides on flood-affected surfaces to inhibit further microbial growth.
- Remediating mold with proprietary sanitation solutions, containment measures, and structural drying.
- Deodorizing after drying with water- or solvent-based solutions dispersed with commercial-grade foggers.
SERVPRO of Columbia County provides Faster to Any Size Disaster services for the community at large. Call (706) 868-5441 for mitigation and restoration that can start within hours of your initial contact.