We Had a Pipe Burst – How Can I Start the Cleanup?
SERVPRO Acts Quickly in Evans to Help You with Professional Water Mitigation
Many people think that water damage to the home only happens with a storm or flood. However, a burst pipe sends a massive amount of water throughout your interior within minutes. Because of the nature of the emergency, it needs attention as soon as possible. Whenever you are faced with such a crisis in your Evans home, having expert technicians on speed dial gets you the prompt response. This immediate attention to the water damage is where SERVPRO is available to help, and we are available 24/7 for emergency water cleanup and restoration services in Evans.
Can I Clean Up the Water with My Wet Vac?
Professional water mitigation in Evans is elemental for protecting the structure of your home and all contents whenever you have a burst pipe. Even though this is clean water, it migrates to dry spaces and leaves behind hidden pockets of moisture. It could lead to a wide variety of secondary damage if not addressed with the right techniques, including:
- Drywall that deteriorates and begins to crumble
- Wood framing that begins to warp
- Metal supports that start to rust and corrode
- Hardwood flooring that begins to cup and buckle
- Ceiling tiles that begin to sag and breakdown
- Wallpaper or paint that begins to blister or peel
- Subflooring that begins to weaken and deteriorate
Are There Timeframes on Water Cleanup?
Water mitigation must take place promptly to keep secondary damage from occurring throughout the loss zone in your home. Never take your time to begin the cleanup, or the effect of the water loss becomes immense. Our experts at SERVPRO know all the standard timelines to follow and what to expect the longer that water sits stagnant within the home. Even waiting for a few hours can lead to extensive and irreversible damage in some cases. The timeframes for the onset of water damage include:
- Within Hours –Water migrates from the point of origin and begins to saturate structural components and contents. Carpets and other floor coverings become stained from finished or painted furniture. Items throughout the home, including electronics, documents, pictures, and books, are in immediate danger before they become ruined.
- Within 24 Hours –Water causes any plaster or sheetrock in your home swells and crumble. Upholstery on your furniture may stretch to the seams ripping point while the padding takes on moisture. Wood furniture warps and any metal items begin to tarnish or rust. This period is when the mold can set in.
- Within a Week –Window and door casings become distorted. Laminate flooring may delaminate, or hardwood flooring warps. Any wet carpeting becomes a breeding ground for mildew and mold, starting to take over other organic surfaces.
- Past a Week –The growth of bacteria and mold poses a real hazardous threat. The building's overall structural integrity becomes compromised and multiplying the expense to restore the home.
What Does Your Team Do for Water Mitigation?
We have crews ready to go day or night, which allows us to arrive at your property in as little as four hours or less. Once we arrive, the crew chief begins the assessment, and we investigate the Evans water damage. This initial assessment is crucial within the first couple of hours after the burst pipe incident. It allows us to use our specialized formulas and training to implement a plan that allows for efficient water removal and drying services. Our IICRC-certified team arrives with our Green Fleet of trucks, which come loaded with all of the latest technology and equipment for water restoration.
How Can You Find Where the Water Went?
Moisture travels to dry areas following the path of least resistance. The liquid can keep working on breaking down the structural and building materials if moisture areas are not found and dried. Our technicians use a variety of tools for finding moisture, including:
- Moisture sensors
- Moisture meters
- Thermal imaging
We gather data on all moisture within your home so that our Applied Structural Drying (ASD) technicians can select the best tools to meet drying goals. We use psychrometry to determine drying rates and the number of air movers and dehumidifiers to place in each room within the water loss zone. Similar materials are then tested in an unaffected area of the home to match humidity levels.
Whether you have a small water mitigation project or a water loss that is much more involved, we have the crew, experience, and equipment to get the job done quickly and efficiently. To have a team deployed to your home as soon as possible, call SERVPRO of Columbia County at (706) 868-5441. We are Faster to Any Size Disaster!